- The first thing that you should always remember is to never leave a candle burning unattended. This may sound like simple advice, but a fire can start in a matter of seconds. I don’t mean that you have to sit in a chair and constantly watch a burning candle, but you should be able to see it from wherever you may be in the house.
- The next thing to keep in mind is the importance of placing a lit candle on a sturdy and heat-resistant surface. Candles should never be placed on a plastic or flammable surface. These types of surfaces may become unstable from the heat and cause the candle to fall. You should also not place a candle on a low table where your pets or anyone walking by may knock it down.
- Candles should also be placed so that they are out of reach of children and pets. If you place a candle on a table, you should ensure that it is in an area where a cat cannot jump to. When placing a candle on a dining table or countertop, you should make sure that the candle is far enough away from the edge that it cannot be grabbed by a child.
- When placing candles on bathroom counters or shelves, you should always make sure that they are at least four inches away from other items. This will help reduce the risk of anything igniting.
- If you choose to place candles in high-traffic areas, it is extremely important that you place them somewhere safe. The best place for placing candles in these types of areas is on shelves or tables that you are sure will not be bumped into.
- One of the most common causes of fire related to candle use is when they are placed too close to curtains. If the window is open, a breeze may cause the curtain to blow into the flame causing a fire. If you tend to leave your windows open regularly, you should never place a candle by them.
- Whenever you burn a candle, it should always be placed in a holder or jar. If the wick should become too short while the candle is burning, the holder will extinguish the flame. However, if you simply place a candle on a surface without a holder, the surface may become burned and possibly spread.
Candle Burning Safety