Facts on Interior Design
No matter if you choose professionals to do interior designing for you, or you choose to do this job by yourself, there are a couple of awesome facts on interior design that you definitely MUST know!
- Interior Design vs Interior Decoration! Many people think that interior designing is the same as interior decoration, which is definitely not the case! Interior Design is not only about knowing colours, or knowing which fabric to choose. It also implies improving the indoors (residential or commercial) while respecting a number of health and welfare practices. Interior Design is a profession that requires a formal education where designers study about building codes, safety measures, etc.
- Mixing styles is perfectly okay! The times when houses and apartments were exclusively Gothic, or Victorian style are a thing of the past. Nowadays it’s actually amazing if you can manage to successfully mix styles such as modern elements with something antique in between.
- Reflection of yourself! If you are designing your own condo, it should be a personalization of yourself, who you are, and what you feel is the picture of yourself. If you don’t know how to achieve that, look for inspiration from your clothes, hobbies, etc. If you like vintage clothes, chances are – you will LOVE vintage accessories in your room! If you are designing a pub or a restaurant, the interior design of it should be one where your customers feel comfortable.
- Don’t forget the comfort! Especially when it comes to living spaces, comfort shouldn’t be overlooked. Although looks are important as well, comfort is what you most need for your home. Why would you buy some expensive and modern chair if you have to try not to fall every time you sit on it?
- Be careful of the lighting! Even if everything in your indoor paradise is perfect, you’ve done nothing without the right lights! The proper lighting can make magic even in the ugliest space. Usually, putting up more lights, and different ones, placed on different locations is the best way to go. Soft ambient light can set up the mood for a romantic dinner, or a quiet night in, while a strong, direct light can be super helpful for reading, writing, etc.
- Go green! Plants or flowers are a great way to freshen up any room or indoor space in general. Especially if your space is too modern, cold, or minimalistic, a green plant can definitely bring some life to the room.
- Play with textures, designs, colours… ! Who said that black and brown don’t go together? Or red and pink? Of course they do! Who said that lines and circles shouldn’t be used together??? All these pairs can go together perfectly as long as you know how to place them. Don’t be afraid to experiment a bit with different patterns, textures, colours… You might be surprised of how great the result is!
- Small details are the key! Although the sofa, dining table, and the curtains are important, the small details are usually the ones who complement the room as a whole. This can be some old books that you pile up on the coffee table, or some wooden decorations, an old vintage suitcase… anything that might add that special charm to your room!